24. Republican Poll Misinterpreted

29 Jul

In several recent polls related to Republican presidential candidates, voters have given the most votes (around 20%) to Donald Trump.  It seems that many people interpret this as Trump being the “leader.”  However, this type of poll can be misinterpreted.  About 20% goes to Trump and the remaining 80% is spread out to the others.

But if there was only one other candidate, that other candidate might get the entire 80%. Since Trump seems to be in a category of his own (radical and provocative), a new type of poll should be considered.  Trump could be compared to each of the other candidates and this might show that Trump is actually less popular than some of the others. It is for this type of situation that some elections have run-offs, if no one reaches a majority.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: